The most necessary requirement to drive a vehicle is to have a valid driving license. Anybody found driving with expired license, has to pay a heavy fine and may be even worse, if there is much delay. Hence, it is mandatory to renew your driving license upon expiry. A grace period of 30 days is provided after the termination of the expiry date and one should apply for the renewal process within those 30 days. Failing to do so may result in a fine, which may add up to Rs 200 to be paid during the renewal process. However, the process may vary from state to state.
Why should you renew your license?
According to the Indian Motor Act, every citizen must compulsorily hold a valid driving license to drive a vehicle in the country. Holding a valid driving license gives the citizen freedom and legal right to drive through any part of the country. Hence, driving without a proper license is a crime which makes it obligatory to renew the license.
When should you renew your license?
In India, a driving license is valid for 20 years from the issued date or till the Driving license holder becomes 50. So, one must go through the process of renewal after that. Renewal of the expired driving license can be done online as well as offline, depending upon the resources available to a person.
Let us have a quick glance at both of them.
Steps to renew your driving license online
* Visit the official website of Sarathi Parivahan. You may visit the Sarathi Parivahan Sewa website here.
* Then, click on “Apply Online” on the left side of the web page, followed by “Driving license related services”.
* Select the desired state and then click on “Apply Online” after which click on “Services on Driving license”
* You will be directed to a page containing all the instructions regarding the filling of the form. Read thoroughly and then click “Next”.
* Enter your basic information like Name, Birth Date, Pincode, current license number, and various other details.
* Now click on the “Required Services” tab that shows the current service available for your license followed by the “Renewal” tab.
* Next, you may have to fill in some more personal or vehicle-related details.
* Finally, upload your photo and signature and book a slot and appear for a test in case of any changes in your medical certificate.
* You will be redirected to a page comprising your application id. You may print it and check the status of your renewed driving license online once you’ve completed the online payment process.
* If you pass the test, you shall receive the driving license at your designated address within a few days.
Steps to renew your driving license offline
* Go to the nearest RTO and fill in the application form regarding your basic details.
* Attach a photocopy of your valid Driving license, protograph, and various other necessary documents including NOC in case you are renewing from a different state.
* Complete the payment process and book a slot and appear for the test in case of any changes in your medical certificate.
* If you pass the test, you shall receive your driving license within a few days.
To avoid long queues and go through a hassle-free process, it is advisable to apply online for the renewal of your driving license. One can also hire an agent to provide a helping hand in the online process of renewal or undergo the whole process offline by visiting a nearby RTO.
Happy and safe driving!