New Delhi: Delhi Police have filed a detailed 877-page chargesheet in the Janakpuri pit death case, naming three people and pointing to serious lapses in how a construction project was carried out. The chargesheet was submitted in court on April 7. The case was originally registered on February 6.
The three accused include Himanshu Gupta, a suspended director of the main contracting company KKSPUN Private Limited, Rajesh Kumar, a sub-contractor, and Yogesh, a labourer working at the site.
The incident happened on the night of February 5. Kamal Dhyani, who lived in Kailashpuri and worked at a call centre, was returning home from Rohini when he accidentally fell into a 15-foot-deep pit in Janakpuri. The pit had been dug as part of work by the Delhi Jal Board.
According to police, the chargesheet looks closely at what went wrong. It covers safety measures, how the work was being carried out, and who was responsible at the site. It also includes witness statements, technical reports, and other evidence collected during the investigation.
Police said Himanshu Gupta was responsible for overall supervision and ensuring safety rules were followed. Rajesh Kumar was handling the work on the ground, while Yogesh was present at the site as a worker.
During the investigation, police found signs of negligence. A labourer at the site was aware of the incident and informed his supervisor, who then passed the information up the chain. However, despite knowing about it, no one alerted the police, even as the victim’s family and police teams were searching for him.
Police said they acted quickly once a missing person complaint was filed. Teams traced Dhyani’s last location and began a search operation immediately. The investigation is still ongoing, and more arrests could be made.
Officials added that the role of other people is being examined, and a supplementary chargesheet may be filed once the probe is complete.
(with inputs from agencies)
